The #EULife App Challenge (“Challenge”) run by AppChallenge.Net (UK Creative Grid Ltd, UK registered company number 04890499) aims to encourage developers to use the Eurofound Quality of Life Survey (2007 & 2011) provided as Open Data to create exciting new apps using the UK Data Service Application Programming Interface (API) that can be found at https://ukdataservice.3scale.net/
Eurofound and the UK Data Service are entirely not for profit public bodies and receive no payment for any use of data or for any potential commercial profit emanating from new applications. Eurofound takes no responsibility for any misuse or misinterpretation of its open data.
These Terms and Conditions
To enter the #EULife App Challenge, please include the following (in English):
- A Youtube video of your app working, which clearly shows the app using the #EULife Open Data
- A description of your App concept(“App Description”);
- Complete the entry form via the website http://eulife.appchallenge.net . By doing this you confirm that the app idea is yours and that you have entered all information truthfully to the best of your knowledge.
- Any further information you feel demonstrates the capability of your App
(together, these are your “Entry”). By submitting an Entry, you agree that you have read and are bound by these Terms and Conditions.
You must register for the Challenge and submit your entry between 9am on 1st July 2015 (“Challenge Start”) and 5pm on Friday 30th September 2015 GMT (“Challenge End”). You may make an unlimited number of submissions.
You may submit a entry as an individual, a team of people or a legal entity.
We cannot accept entries that are from a country that is on the UK list of embargoed countries which can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/current-arms-embargoes-and-other-restrictions
If you are submitting an Entry as an individual, you must be at least 16 years of age at the time of submission. If you are less than 18 years of age, your legal guardian must accept these Terms and Conditions on your behalf. We will publicly recognise you as a finalist and/or winner of the Challenge if applicable.
By submitting an Entry, you warrant and represent that you have legal authority to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
The Team Captain my submit an Entry on behalf of the team. We will correspond with the Team Captain in relation to the Challenge on behalf of the team. If you are submitting an Entry on behalf of a team, each of the members of your team must be listed on the App Form and must meet the criteria listed above, and references to “You” in these Terms and Conditions shall apply to each team member.
By submitting an Entry as a team, each member of your team warrants and represents that it has legal authority to be bound by these Terms and Conditions (or if under 18, that their legal guardian has such legal authority on their behalf), and by the team captain (signing these Terms and Conditions each team member (or if under 18, their legal guardian on their behalf) accepts and is bound by these Terms and Conditions.
You must notify us in writing if you want to add or delete a team member and any proposed new member must comply with the requirements of this paragraph as a condition of becoming a team member. If one or more members of the team do not comply with these Terms and Conditions or are disqualified, the whole team and its Entry may at our sole discretion be disqualified.
If you are submitting an Entry on behalf of a legal entity e.g. a company, references to “You” in these Terms and Conditions shall apply to that legal entity. By submitting an Entry the legal entity warrants and represents that:
- it is duly organised and in good standing;
- it is authorised to enter and by submitting the entry form has entered into, and agrees to be bound by these Terms and Conditions
If an Entry submitted by that legal entity is successful at any phase of the Challenge, a person with legal authority to bind that legal entity may be required to validate the entity’s authority to submit an Entry and receive the relevant prize (as further described below).
You are not allowed to enter this challenge if:
- You are an employee or an immediate family member of an employee of AppChallenge.Net
- One of the App Challenge judges or an immediate family member.
We are not responsible for any claims or disputes between one entrant and another, or within teams regarding ownership of an entry or the content of an Entry. We may disqualify one or more entrants, without recourse and in our sole discretion, if any such claim or dispute arises during the Challenge.
Young Person’s Category (16-24 years old)
AppChallenge.Net actively promotes and encourages young people to learn to write code. We may ask for evidence of your age if you are a finalist and we reserve the right to disqualify any entrant who cannot satisfy us that they are within the age limits of the Young Person’s Category. Our definition is that you were aged 16-24 years old at any time during the running of the competition which is from the Challenge Start to the Challenge End. If you are entering as a team or as a company, please list the people in your team and their dates of birth. More than 75% of your team or company members listed must be within the age category as defined above.
Some of the criteria that we will use to evaluate your Entry during “Judging” are set out below.
- Innovation: Is your app truly innovative? Have we seen this idea before or is it something new.
- Impact: How much social impact could your app have on the world? What is it’s benefit?
- The Idea: Often the best ideas are the simple ones and we’re looking for a great idea, well executed.
- Production Quality: How well produced is your app? Does it work?
- Mash-Up: We’d like to see you use the #EULife data with other data sources. Perhaps something you’re already working on. We believe some of the best ideas come from other areas or mashing up things together.
We may also take such other matters into consideration as we deem appropriate. Our selections and decisions made in relation to Judging are final.
We will notify you using the contact details submitted as part of your Entry within 3 weeks of Challenge End, if your Entry has been selected by us as a winner.
Further details and the criteria for judging the contest, including prizes and categories are laid out on the contest website.
The contest Administrator, AppChallenge.Net , will prepare a shortlist of entries based on objective scoring against the judging criteria.
The judges listed on our website will be asked to review the shortlist and score each Entry against the individual criteria. The combined scores will be used to determine the winner. In the event of a tie the UK Data Service will decide who has won.
We reserve the right to amend the judging process and judges on our panel during the contest. We also reserve the right to disqualify any entrant that we feel has not adhered to the spirit of the contest.
If we are unable to contact you within a reasonable period of attempting to notify you, you may (at our sole discretion), forfeit your opportunity and an alternate Entry may be selected.
If your Entry is selected by us as a winner;
- We will notify you, using the email address you submit as part of your Entry by no later than one calendar month after the Challenge End date. We will notify you which category(ies) you have won and the amount of your win. If you entered as part of a team, we will notify your team Captain as per your Entry form.
- We will pay the relevant Prize monies to your bank account via BACS / Wire Transfer;
- In the case of an Entry having been submitted on behalf of a team or legal entity, we will pay the Prize monies into a bank account provided by the team captain or representative of the legal entity whose email address is provided for contact within your Entry. We are not responsible for decisions on the division or distribution of any Prizes among or between team members or within a legal entity. Each Prize is non-exchangeable. Payment of any Prize money is also subject to you providing us with such information as we require to meet our legal obligations in relation to such payment.
- You are solely responsible for paying any taxes due on your Prize money.
Payment of Prize money to any entrant is contingent upon the entrant’s compliance with these Terms and Conditions and failure to comply may mean that a Prize has been forfeited and we may, in our sole discretion, select an alternative recipient or decide not to award one or more of the Prizes.
Marketing & Press
By submitting your Entry you acknowledge that you give us permission to use your Entry and any information that you have provided to us for marketing the Challenge and generating publicity. This includes, but is not limited to, using your image, name, Youtube video and information about your team (if you have submitted an Entry as a team) as well as information about your Entry.
Your participation in the Challenge
Your involvement in the Challenge may reflect on Us (AppChallenge.Net, Eurofound and the UK Data Service) and you must not:
- represent that you are our agent or affiliated with Us otherwise than as contemplated by these Terms and Conditions; or
- bring Us into disrepute or make any disparaging comments Us in connection with this challenge.
You may cease your participation in the Challenge at any time prior by notifying us through the contest website.
Our ability to vary the Challenge
While the Website describes our intention for the Challenge as at the time the Website was created, we are not under an obligation to follow the stated process. We reserve the right at any time and for any reason to (prior to the selection of Winners):
- Vary the Challenge in any way, including any applicable dates or timeframes, in which case we will use reasonable endeavours to provide you with notice of changes to the dates or timeframes, either by email or by publishing changes on the Website;
- Not proceed with all or any part of the Challenge;
- Proceed in a manner other than that described on the Website;
- Discontinue your further participation in the Challenge for any reason; or
- Adopt different approaches with different entrants and enter into separate discussions with entrants.
During the course of your involvement in the Challenge, you may provide or communicate to us details of (and software code in relation to) your Entry, and other related documents, presentations, written or oral statements or materials (“Material”). You represent, warrant and undertake that:
- Ownership: you own your Material or are authorised to grant AppChallenge.Net a non-exclusive royalty free license to use the Material;
- No infringement: your Material will not infringe the intellectual property rights, moral rights or other rights of, or breach any obligations of confidence owed to, any person;
- No infringement – use: the use of your Material by Us in relation to the Challenge will not infringe any third party intellectual property rights, moral rights or other third party rights;
- English law: your Material does not violate applicable laws of England and Wales and is suitable for a general audience;
- Accuracy: your Material will be up-to-date when submitted to us, and at all times true, accurate and not misleading; and
- Virus free: your Material is free from software viruses and/or any other material that may damage our systems.
- By submitting your Entry you agree that:
- You grant us a non-exclusive, royalty-free licence to use and copy your Material for the purpose of assessing your Entry and marketing the Challenge;
- You grant us a non-exclusive, royalty–free licence to use, copy, edit and adapt your Material for the purposes of promoting use of the data set, generating publicity over the lifetime of the App Challenge. Whilst generating interest in the development of commercial applications to access public data, your Materials may be used, in full or in part, in video presentations, online and in any other marketing medium.
- All intellectual property rights in these Terms and Conditions, in material on the Website and any other information we disclose to you are retained by us (or our licensors), and no rights are granted to you in such material.
- You acknowledge and agree that data made available through the UK Data Service API is made available under the terms of an Open Data License and that you will abide and honour these terms.
Confidentiality and publicity
- Where you provide us with materials intended for public disclosure in connection with the Challenge, we may publicly disclose such materials. We may publicise your involvement in the Challenge, and you must provide us with your reasonable co-operation in publicising the Challenge (including the publication of your name, likeness and other appropriate information).
- Unless otherwise agreed between us, we agree not to disclose to the public or any third party any of your Material that you specify in your Proposal as confidential, except:
- as otherwise required by law; or
- to the extent that the information is in the public domain (other than because of a breach by us of these Terms and Conditions).
- You acknowledge that we are involved in a broad range of research and development activity ourselves, and it is possible that we may work on or have worked on something similar to your Entry independently of the Challenge. You agree that we will not be precluded in any way from pursuing this similar work, provided this is developed or obtained without reference to your Material, and you will not be entitled to any rights in, or compensation in connection with, any such similar or identical applications and/or ideas and will not bring any claim against us in connection with the same.
Conflict of Interest
- You must indicate in your Proposal whether, as at the date of submission of the Proposal, any actual or potential conflict of interest exists in relation to your participation in the Challenge.
- You must promptly notify us if any such actual or potential conflict of interest arises after the date of submission of your Proposal.
- If any such actual or potential conflict of interest arises, we may:
- exclude you from further participation in the Challenge;
- enter into discussions with you to seek to resolve the conflict of interest; or
- take any other action we consider appropriate.
Our liability to you
- While we may discuss your Entry with you and make suggestions, you must evaluate any such suggestions and make your own decisions in relation to your Entry. You therefore acknowledge and agree that:
- we have no responsibility in relation to your Entry; and
- you bear all risks associated with your Entry.
- To the maximum extent permitted by law, our maximum aggregate liability to you under or in relation to these Terms and Conditions and the Challenge, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), in equity, under statute, based on fundamental breach or breach of a fundamental term or on any other basis, is limited to £1.
- To the maximum extent permitted by law, we are not liable for, and no measure of damages will, under any circumstances, include:
- special, indirect, consequential, incidental or punitive damages; or
- damages for loss of opportunity, profits, revenue or goodwill, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), in equity, under statute, based on fundamental breach or breach of a fundamental term or on any other basis, whether or not such loss or damage was foreseeable and even if advised of the possibility of the loss or damage.
- We are not responsible for human error, theft, destruction, or damage to Entries
or other factors beyond our reasonable control, and you assume all risk of damaged, lost, late, incomplete, invalid, incorrect or misdirected Entries. We make no warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in connection with our ability in any way to enable, develop or market the Entry and/or the App.
- We shall not be liable to you or any other person for failure to supply the Cash Amount or any part thereof, by reason of the Cash Amount becoming unavailable or impracticable to award, or for any event beyond our reasonable control.
- We shall not assume any responsibility whatsoever for delayed, failed, partial or garbled computer transmissions; technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to, lost, interrupted or unavailable network, server, internet, or other connections; the availability, accessibility, technical failure or miscommunications of computer, satellite, telephone or cable transmissions; the incorrect or inaccurate capture or failure to capture information whether caused by the this Website or the Challenge; errors, omissions, interference or other improper or inappropriate activity by any Website user or third party, including but not limited to tampering or hacking by any means or equipment; errors of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, network or otherwise arising out of or relating to the Challenge; theft, loss, destruction or damage to an Entry in whole or in part; and other factors beyond their reasonable control. We are not responsible for injury or damage to your or to any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participating in the Challenge or downloading materials from or use of the Website.
- All information provided on the website is provided “as is” without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, except as required by law.
Your liability to Us
Without limiting any other right or remedy that we may have, you agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless us, our officers, directors, employees, agents, subcontractors, licensors, and suppliers, from and against all claims, actions, demands, liabilities and settlements, including reasonable legal and accounting fees, arising in connection with:
- Any breach by you of any warranty or representation under these Terms and Conditions;
- Any misrepresentation made by you in connection with the Challenge;
- Any negligent or unlawful act or omission of you, your employees, agents or contractors;
- The infringement or alleged infringement of a third party’s intellectual property rights, moral rights or other rights, arising directly or indirectly from our use of your Material and/or your Entry in accordance with these Terms and Conditions;
- Any damage you cause to this Website, Eurofound or UKDS Systems (including by introducing a virus into your Entry or App, deliberately, inadvertently or otherwise).
Costs, expenses & Taxes
You must bear your own costs and expenses associated with the preparation of your Material and your Entry, and your participation in the Challenge.
You are solely responsible for any taxes imposed on you by law in connection with the Challenge, including any penalties or interest that may arise as a result of any failure or omission on your part in relation to your taxation obligations. If you are in any doubt as to your taxation responsibilities in connection with the Challenge, you should obtain appropriate independent tax advice.
- General matters
- The words ‘including’, ‘such as’, ‘particularly’ and similar expressions are not used as, nor are intended to be, interpreted as words of limitation.
- If we do not act in relation to a breach by you of these Terms and Conditions, this does not waive our right to act with respect to subsequent or similar breaches.
- The indemnities in these Terms and Conditions are continuing obligations, independent from your other obligations and will continue after the conclusion of the Challenge. It is not necessary for us to incur expense or make a payment before enforcing a right of indemnity under these Terms and Conditions.
- Providing any false or misleading information to us in connection the Challenge, including information concerning your identity, contact details, ownership of intellectual property or non-compliance with these Terms and Conditions, may result in immediate elimination from participation in the Challenge.
- Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall be construed as to give rise to any of the following relationships between you and AppChallenge.Net: employee, agent, partner of, or joint venturer with, AppChallenge.Net, and you are not authorised to represent yourself as acting for, or incurring an obligation on behalf of, AppChallenge.Net. Your submission of an Entry, the awarding of a Cash Amount, or anything in these Terms and Conditions shall not be construed as an offer or contract of employment with AppChallenge (or otherwise).
- You will provide to us such information as we may request in connection with the Challenge, including with regard to the details of the bank account for payment of any Prize money and to allow us to protect our interests against any third party claim or otherwise (including in relation to the Material and your Entry).
- In the event of a dispute as to any Entry, the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter may be deemed to be the person who made the Entry. For the purposes of these Terms and Conditions, the authorized “account holder” is the natural person assigned an e-mail address by an internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address.
- Any questions regarding the Challenge should be sent to email@example.com or such other method for question submission as indicated on this Website.
- This Agreement is governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales, and you submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts in England and Wales and any courts of appeal from them. You will not object to those courts on the basis that they are forum non conveniens.
By submitting an Entry via this website you accept and agree that:
My/Our participation in the Challenge (and the participation of any team or legal entity on whose behalf I am submitting an Entry) is governed by these Terms and Conditions.